Sunday 28 September 2014

Pyranha 9R review

I was very lucky the other day to be able to get my hands on Pyranha’s new 9R. This boat has been designed specifically to compete in the short boat class in creek racing. In other words, to get down a river as quickly as possible while remaining under 9 feet long. I have no doubts that it will fulfil this purpose very well but I’m not so convinced that it will perform quite as well as a river runner.


Outfitting


Comfy enough, but lacks features like ratchet leg lifters that
Dagger and Wave Sport have introduced
The first thing I thought about this boat was that it is very minimalistic and basic. This is probably due to the fact that I am more used to the Wave Sport Core Whiteout, but even with this considered, it’s very bare. This is partly due to the fact that it is designed as a race boat so the Connect outfitting has been trimmed down which is understandable. But if you would want to use it as an everyday boat, it could be quite limiting.




Wobbly foot plate


The biggest problem with the outfitting I had was the foot plate wobbling. Admittedly I was only using a demo boat and didn't really have the chance to play around with it. It was a little awkward however having the plate bouncing up and down every time I pushed my feet onto it. This was only a small problem though and could easily be fixed with little effort.





Apart from the two gear loops at the back, not much to clip dry bags onto

Performance

This boat is fast, very fast. In the short time that I was able to use it for I was able to get it up to quite high speed on grade 4 water unlike anything that I have paddled to date. The boat's design means that the 9R will go over most features with ease.

However I found that to achieve this it had to be handled with some finesse. This is not a boat that will plough through features with the right application of power, or move across the water easily. Yes the 9R will go over most features easily, but you cannot get away with just hitting large stoppers and expecting the boat to go through them. The bow has to be positioned so that it can get on top of the feature allowing the design to play to its strengths.


I also found it quite cumbersome and unwieldy at first. The boat is very narrow which makes it feel a little odd at first but once you adjust to it it’s not a problem. The problem that I had was turning the boat. It felt very long really making fine adjustments while in the flow was challenging and turning quite sluggish. Looking further into this since then I have seen that the boat has to be paddled in a specific way to achieve effective turning. 

Without going into too much detail, the hull has been primarily designed to go forward fast, but with a bit of clever design, the correct weight distribution and edge will apparently let this boat turn a lot better. So to get the best out of this boat would require some practice and paddle hours to learn how it moves best on the water.

Conclusion

As a race boat, I think Pyranha have made a very good boat and it will be very interesting to see how well it performs. As a recreational boat, I feel that the basic interior and the technical design mean that it is not really ideal. I would also say that it is not a boat for beginners or intermediate paddlers really as there would be much easier and more suitable boats on the market. As for river running? I get the feeling that it would be like a sports car. Really fast and technical, but not really practical for everyday use.  

**UPDATE**

Since posting this blog yesterday I have been in contact with Pyranha who provided some really helpful feedback which was great! They also pointed out one or two things that have answered some of the points that I raised.

On purchase of the kayak, it will come with a foam block in the fitting kit which can be cut to size and stuck onto the foot plate, thus eliminating any of the wobble that I mentioned. So the answer to my statement is yes, there is an easy fix for this!

The second point is a bit more interesting. What I failed to mention was that the 9R comes with the new 2014 Connect outfitting. Now the main feature that I want to focus on in this is the amount of customisation that is available to the seat position. Not only can you move it forwards and backwards, but raise it up and increase the rake.

This feature answers another of my points in regard to the absence of ratchet leg lifters. Not only this, but it looks like a better system than the ratchets! Instead of ratchets, the seat is bolted into the desired position and an appropriate power block is placed underneath to provide the correct support. Not only is this really simple to achieve but it also looks a lot more sturdy than ratchets, especially as ratchet strips have a tendency to wear out and require replacing.

It is also possible to raise the seat up by 10mm at the back and 30mm at the front, and more foam is supplied for any further adjustment. This means that with a pit of playing around with the outfitting it will be possible to find the optimum position to get the best out of this boat. However, as this boat would require a lot of fine tuning this again shows that this boat is best suited to the advanced paddler.

Once again, thanks to Pyranha for the help! I'm still getting the hang of doing reviews and their feedback has really helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment